Friday, March 18, 2022

7 Questions with Wayne Ackerson, Prowling the Peach State

 


Wayne Ackerson was born in Corpus Christi, Texas but grew up around the world with a father who was in the navy.  He's been a college professor since 1990, teaching in Maryland and Georgia. In his spare time, he's a photographer, a minister, and enjoys reading, eating out, working out, and movies.  He earned his Ph. D. in British History from Temple University in 1999.

1.         How and when did you get  hooked on history?

Well, I was born in Texas but grew up in England, and I think living there is what did it.  You couldn’t go anywhere or do anything without being surrounded by history.  World War Two was still a big part of their cultural life, and it seemed like every TV show was about World War Two in some fashion (this was the early 70s).  I would just say that I have always loved history, for as long as I can remember.

2.         What role does history play or has it played in your personal life?

When I started college, I was a Psych major, but ended up with a double major with Psych and History.  Then onto an MA and started teaching college, then got my Ph.D. in History.  I’ve been a history professor since I was 24, back in 1990. 




3.         How does history play  a part of your professional life/career?

To say it’s important is an understatement.  It’s what I do, every day as a history professor at Georgia Gwinnett College in Lawrenceville, GA.

4.         Why is studying/knowing history important?

I am a big supporter of a broad-based, liberal arts type of education.  I believe that as citizens we should be generally well-rounded and well-informed.  In some ways, this is knowledge for knowledge’s sake.  I also believe that trends repeat themselves, and so it is useful to us to know what those are.  And of course there are practical skills which come from the study of history, such as understanding cause and effect, change over time, and being able to think critically about sources and information.

5.         What is your favorite period or aspect of history to learn about and why?

There isn’t much I dislike.  My specialty is 19th century Britain, British anti-slavery in particular.  I wrote a book called  The African Institution (1807-1827) and the Anti-slavery Movement in Great Britain which came out in 2005.  I love the Tudor-Stuart period, and ancient Greece and Rome.  I love south Asian history, which is mainly what I teach.  I enjoy anything to do with aviation (my dad was a Navy pilot).  There’s just so much to like in all these areas!



6.         What is Prowling the Peach State and how did it come about?

Prowling The Peach State is a podcast that deals with Georgia history, very broadly defined, with an emphasis on things off the beaten path.  It just seemed like a fun idea to try and do.  I don’t for a minute think I am discovering “new” things, but maybe some of the locations are ones that many people don’t know much about.  I try to put the topic or location in a broader context as much as possible, be entertaining, and also be interesting and informative.  Georgia is a state with all kinds of stuff in it, and through the series I hope to teach Georgians a few things about their relative backyards, and I’d also hope to encourage out-of-staters to visit.

I also have a companion Facebook page where I post photos I’ve taken on location, random stuff to do with that month’s topic, as well as lesson plans (questions, really) for teachers who might want to use the podcasts with their students.

7.         What can lovers of history expect in the future from Prowling the Peach State?

Well that’s a secret!  What I can say is I have a long list of topics/places I want to cover.  Most will be serious, but there’s a few bizarre ones in there too.


No comments:

Post a Comment