Friday, August 6, 2021

7 Questions with Lance Geiger, The History Guy




Lance Geiger is best known as The History Guy on YouTube, producing short videos on obscure topics of history three days a week. After multiple careers in academia and the corporate world, Lance decided to transform his life-long passion for history into a channel dedicated to the idea that history does not need to be boring, reminding viewers that history deserves to be remembered and, of course, that all good stories involve pirates. To date Lance has garnered more than 130 million views and has gotten to work with top quality museums, historical sites, and The History Channel's History-at-Home series.  His videos have been highlighted by online platforms of Forbes Magazine and the Wall Street Journal. ( https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4sEmXUuWIFlxRIFBRV6VXQ )


    1.          How and when did you get  hooked on history? 

 I was a history buff from an early age, and can't remember when I did not love history.  I credit my love of history to my father's love for war documentaries and John Wayne movies. 

2.          What role does history play or has it played in your personal life? 

My penchant for telling stories about history has been a tie that binds me in many of my personal and professional relationships.  Most notably, a passion for history was a deep shared bond with my father that has carried on with my sons. 

3.          How does history play  a part of your professional life/career? 

Previously my passion for history was a way to build relationships with clients and colleagues. Since 2017, talking about history has been my full-time career. 

4.          Why is studying/knowing history important? 

History certainly informs us and helps us make independent decisions about our present.  I cannot see a nation succeeding if its citizens forget their history.  History is also just darned good entertainment, with stories quite often stranger and more interesting than fiction. 



5.          What is your favorite period or aspect of history to learn about and why? 

I am not good at picking favorites.  On the channel I always say that my favorite bit of history is whatever episode I am working on at the moment. I am, viewers are aware, rather fond of vintage hats. 

6.         How did you become the History Guy? 

I was "in between jobs" in my corporate career and decided that I wanted to do something different. Sometimes people ask what the magic formula is for success on social media and I answer honestly that I have no idea.  I had no background in video, a little experience in tele-teaching, a computer and an idea, and I just followed my nose. 



7.      What kind of content can people expect to find from you ? 


My channel is about telling compelling stories. My content is deliberately diverse, works in a lot of science, and even wanders some into prehistory.  In a given week I might talk about an event in ancient Rome, tell a story about the Second World War, and then talk about the history of ketchup. 







 

No comments:

Post a Comment