Friday, August 20, 2021

7 Questions with Kyle Jenks, James Madison Portrayer

 


                                                    (Photo: The New York Historical Society)

Mr. Jenks, agent for the Fourth President, entered into historical interpretation as a reenactor of individuals in the French and Indian War and American Revolution. From that experience he developed and interprets a researched 18th century composite character, Douglas McKenna in connection with a number of historic interpretation activities. To round out his 18th century historic interpretation he portrays various roles on both sides of the War of Independence. He is the writer of the two act stage drama James and Dolley: Opposites Attract. He also created the Society Hill walking tour in Philadelphia conducted in character with Dolley Madison.




1.         How and when did you get hooked on history?
Hi. Thanks being interested in my story. I am from upstate New York. My wife and I took a short getaway to Bennington, Vermont in 2003. I was 45 years old. The hosts at our B & B asked us if we were coming back in August for Bennington Battle Days. We didn’t know what that was but curiosity drew us back. What we witnessed eventually changed the course of my profession.
We came upon a Revolutionary War encampment and battle reenactment of a 1777 battle. I knew right away that I wanted to be part of this hobby. The visceral aspect of military camp life witnessed live in front of me made a great impact upon my desire to learn more about the time period.
My wife was reluctant. So we eased our way in. I started in an unusual way by being cast in a historical pageant that reenacted the founding of Bennington, Vermont in 1742. I played the “bad New York” sheriff who was chased out by Ethan Allen and his Green Mountain Boys. After that great experience, we compromised by joining a musical unit since my wife was hesitant about being involved with weaponry. Within a year I was toting a musket and we were traveling 2 or 3 weekends a month to various French and Indian war or American Revolution events. We did this for six consecutive years before moving to another state.
2.         What role does history play or has it played in your personal life?
It gives me perspective, appreciation, empathy and understanding to be more informed about developing reliable opinions and making smart decisions. It gives me the ability to appreciate things in context and not impose modern judgements upon past mores.
3.          How does history play a part of your professional life/career?
It was the reason I changed my career in my 50’s. Reenacting led me to a series of evolutionary discoveries that eventually led to portraying founding father and fourth President James Madison. I began by following the suggestion of my reenactment friends. I created historically inspired characters and liked it so much I began performing them for schools. 
The next step was an entirely new discovery. After moving to Ohio, I found out about the existence of outdoor historical drama. I watched three of them and instinctively knew I had to write and produce one. After a couple of years, Drums Along the Mohawk Outdoor Drama was born. It was performed in 2012, 2014 and 2015, then died on the vine after exhausting my life savings. 
The final step puts me where I am today. I found out about the existence of historical interpreters who portray real people. All of these previous experiences laid a valuable foundation for portraying a historical figure from roughly the same time period. I settled on James Madison because he is famous but still relatively unknown. My goal is to portray him professionally for a full time career. I have made steady progress ever since beginning this journey. It is now a growing part time career. I feel good about finding a professional path that I believe in, enjoy doing and serves others.


4.      Why is studying/knowing history important?
I very recently came to the conclusion after portraying Mr. Madison for 6 years that I will sometimes use other words besides history. History has a connotation in my opinion that too often wrongly translates to “boring.” There is a certain amount of broken record apathy in my opinion when people hear the word history. My latest project was to record a performance that commemorates the 230th anniversary of the ratification of the Bill of Rights. When my colleague asked “President Madison” why history was important in drafting the Bill of Rights, in character I explained that similar events happened in the past and people’s responses to those events were tools that provided evidence from which to make good decisions regarding the Bill of Rights.
5.      What is your favorite period or aspect of history to learn about and why?
When I was a little kid I liked the 1960’s TV show Rin Tin Tin so when it came time to choose a reenactment time period I was always surprised I did not become a Civil War reenactor. Having grown up near Saratoga, NY, French and Indian War and American Revolution history was all around me. I ended up being drawn to that time period because it is what created a country the likes of which the world has never seen. The Civil War on the other hand is the awful story of how our country became a house divided and our founding principles were shaken to their core. Two years before James Madison’s death he wrote: Advice to My Country. In it he said it was his wish that people would “cherish and perpetuate the union of these States.” For me that is a much more important lesson to teach than to relive divisiveness, destruction and human suffering.
6.      How did you become a professional James Madison interpreter?
It took me 5 years to get up the guts to do it. I did not believe I had the mental capacity to portray a man with such a profound intellect. But I couldn’t come up with any other person that fit. He lived (mostly) within the time period I am interested in, and I am about the same height as he. About 5’4” tall.
I overcame my reluctance by first committing to one year of study. That was 2014. Then I followed the advice of an interpreter friend who recommended I begin with a short performance on a narrow topic and not take questions. My first public performance was in October 2015.



7.      Why are James and Dolley Madison still relevant today?
There are two strongly positive reasons to remember James and Dolley together.
The first is their deep love and commitment to each other. They met in Philadelphia when James was a Congressmen during George Washington’s administration. Much attention has been given to the tight bond John and Abigail Adams had-rightly so, evident through the letters written between them. John Adams was overseas as an official Minister representing our country more than once so he was not home a lot. He and Abigail had to bear the burden of separation and therefore the explanation for their numerous letters. James Madison never went overseas and therefore he and Dolley were not apart that much.  So the evidence letters provide makes it harder to discover what their relationship was like.

The second reason to remember James and Dolley is that Dolley was an active member of James’ administration as an "unofficial official." By expertly managing the social scene in Washington City, she orchestrated this first power couple’s ability to bring open discussion and Madison’s vision of government to the “after hours” scene. Washington City at that time was a somewhat barren place. It had not developed yet. People didn’t have too many places to go for entertainment. Dolley organized and hosted weekly Wednesday Evening Drawing Rooms in the Oval room in order to get people to mix. She did not discriminate or favor anyone over another. She used the new Federal City as a place where all types of citizens could mingle, sharing ideas and opinions. It took the stress off partisanship and helped establish an important symbol of what it meant to be an American. It went a long way in giving our citizens “an American identity.”

For inquiries into bookings, you can contact me in the following ways:
Instagram: @madisonportrayer

Come to Philadelphia and take my Society Hill Walking Tour!

The most engaging walking tour to be found in Philadelphia. In fact, it’s really a whole immersive experience. No walking tour explores the Society Hill neighborhood in Philadelphia. 
 For pricing, scheduling and other questions e-mail: 
Kyle Jenks at Jaktar773@aol.com








No comments:

Post a Comment