Friday, January 7, 2022

7 Questions With YouTuber History Boy, AKA Jacob

 


History Boy (a.k.a Jacob) has been creating historical videos on YouTube since the age of 11 years old. With a deep passion for Civil War history, he became a reenactor at the age of 13, and now at 15 years of age, he is still a committed drummer in the 8th Connecticut Volunteers, (8CV.org) a reenactment group in Connecticut. History Boy posts historical music videos and narrated videos monthly, and always likes to share historical content with his kind and educated community. Access his YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/c/HistoryBoyHB/featured


1.          How and when did you get hooked on history?



I have been hooked on history for as long as I can remember. At first, I was fascinated with the American Revolution, and still am to this day - however, toward the age of six, my interest began to wander into the 19th century and landed on the Civil War. The American Civil War is still my favorite time period to this day, though I find all aspects of American history fascinating. I started out by reading books, and watching documentaries like “Civil War Journal.” I also loved playing with toy Civil War kepis and rifles - which you now will catch me doing in a much more serious and professional way at Civil War reenactments.


(Jacob seated)



2.          What role does history play or has it played in your personal life?


History is more than just a hobby, and is something that I find and carry with me in all aspects of my life. I teach and discuss history with my friends all day at school, learn about it in my free time, reenact it on the weekends and am even the editor of the newsletter for my reenactment organization - “Attention Company!"


3.          How does history play  a part of your professional life/career?



My YouTube channel is based primarily on the history and music of the American Civil War. Through this channel I have gotten incredible experiences such as meeting the band manager and lead banjo of the 2nd South Carolina Stringband - the world famous Civil War Camp band. I have also been able to meet many amazing people, be interviewed by the Untold Civil War podcast, and am currently collaborating with multiple big-name YouTubers, podcasters, and reenactors, to bring my audience an exclusive Civil War documentary. 





4.          Why is studying/knowing history important?


Studying and knowing history are vital for future generations - because without knowing the past we can never truly know where we came from and embrace our future. In my videos and social media posts, I always try to raise awareness for historical events, figures, and reenactments, so that my viewers are always learning (or hearing) something new!


5.          What is your favorite period or aspect of history to learn about and why?


My favorite period in history to learn about by far is the American Civil War. It is simply filled with so many incredible people, places, and events, that one can never learn enough! In addition, there are amazing reenactment events commemorating the war, and allowing participants to live the life of a soldier during the time period, which is so exciting, and which offers new opportunities for research. 





6.         How did you become a civil war reenactor and “History Boy”?


In third grade, my friend Joey gave me the name “History Boy,” due to my fascination with all things history. During my 6th grade year I received a comment on YouTube encouraging me to become a Civil War reenactor. I had previously looked into this opportunity, but decided to try again - and found a new website from a regiment named the “8th Connecticut Volunteers, Co. A” (8CV.org) that had just been put up. I was amazed by it, and with all information about the hobby provided - I sent an email to the recruiter who is now a good friend. The rest is… history!


7.      What do you hope subscribers to your YouTube channel and your social media followers to learn from your content?


From my content on YouTube and on social media I hope that my subscribers gain an appreciation for the history and music of the American Civil War. Using modern and classic methods, I educate future historians, and current history buffs. 



No comments:

Post a Comment