Friday, October 8, 2021

7 Questions with James Cosgrove, Project Past on YouTube

 



    James Cosgrove was raised in Florida and became a firefighter/paramedic right after high school. He's entering his 11th year in the fire service. He also served 6 years in the Army National Guard as a medic for the 53rd Infantry Brigade Combat Team. He doesn't have any college degrees in history or anything for that matter, "I'm just an ordinary guy who loves military history and learning. I've learned pretty quick I'm not that smartest guy in the room. I started Project Past because it helped me combine 2 of my passions, History and videography. Its been a blast filming and I've learned so much already. I hope my small group of viewers has learn as well. History can teach us so much. The good, the bad and the ugly."  (YouTube page https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz1rMpe1CbMgZ7ZTRV6aRfQ 

1. How and when did you first get hooked on history?

 Ever since I can remember I was the kid running around the neighborhood with a toy gun pretending to be Francis Marion battling the redcoats. When I was not outside you could find me playing with the thousands of plastic soldiers I had or watching war movies/history channel. My dad was a pretty big history buff so I think that's where I got it from.  




2. What role does history play or has it played in your personal life?

Well my dad was a huge history buff and we definitely were able to form a bond visiting sites together or watching Gettysburg as a kid. I think having this bond has helped me understand history is not always glorious or filled with happy moments no matter how bad we want it to be. My fiancé is also a high school International Baccalaureate teacher and obviously we hit it off when we found our mutual love for history. We plan on traveling to historic places around the country. 

3. How does history play  a part of your professional life/career?

The fire service is huge on tradition and history. So when I became I firefighter in 2010, it was really easy for me to learn and understand these traditions. Its very important for newer firefighters to carry on these traditions and continue to uphold the oath we took to serve the public. 




4. Why is studying/knowing history important?

I think studying/knowing history is critical for society to continue to progress in a positive direction. History has taught us just how cruel and evil humanity can be at times. If we don't learn from these moments we are doomed to repeat them.     

5. What's your favorite period of history to learn about and why?

My favorite period in history is the American Revolution and the American Civil War. While war itself is terrible, these periods teach us how ordinary people can band together and fight for something so much larger than yourself.

6. How did Project Past come about?

My adult life has been consumed with work and my professional development. I've been neglecting my hobbies and interests for a long time now. Then, one day last year I came across JD's "The History Underground" YouTube channel and realized that this is what I wanted to do. While I will never be on the same level as JD's channel, I wanted to get out there and explore and most importantly, learn. 




7. What do you hope viewers take away from Project Past?

My YouTube channel (Project_Past) is about getting out in your community and learning from the history that's entrenched all around us. Ignorance is something that I fear is becoming more common so I hope to combat some of this by sharing stories and places we often overlook or take for granted. I plan to film throughout the country and visit battlefields, museums and places that have shaped our country. Our country has come a long way but we still have so much more work to do!




No comments:

Post a Comment