Friday, January 12, 2024

7 Questions With Author Steve Kemper

 



Steve Kemper has been a freelance journalist for 40 years and has written for many
national publications. He is the author of four books, including three books of
narrative history: Our Man in Tokyo: an American Ambassador and the
Countdown to Pearl Harbor, which won the Dillon Award from the American
Academy of Diplomacy; A Splendid Savage: the Restless Life of Frederick Russell
Burnham; A Labyrinth of Kingdoms: 10,000 Miles Through Islamic Africa; and
Code Name Ginger: Dean Kamen’s Quest to Invent a New World. More
information at  www.stevekemper.net .




1. How and when did you get hooked on history?
2. What role does history play or has it played in your personal life?
5. What is your favorite period or aspect of history to learn about and
why?


During childhood, too far back to pinpoint. I got hooked first on family history,
stories about things that had happened to my parents, grandparents, and great-
grandparents before I was born. I didn’t realize it then, but those stories illustrated
why the past matters and how it can feel alive in the present. In grade school and
high school during the late 1950s and 1960s, I got the standard rote education in
history, but it didn’t snuff my interest, probably because I read lots of books about
the Civil War and the saga of the westward movement, with mountain men, scouts,
Indians, pioneers, cowboys. Very incomplete stories, of course, which newer
histories are still filling in. In college and grad school my attraction to history was
intensified by literature that brought the past alive, including the great 19 th century
American, European, and Russian novelists, and 20th century writers from five
continents. These works led me to books about history, including accounts of
exploration.

After grad school I spent the first 30 years of my career as a freelance magazine
journalist. I was reading history mostly for pleasure, not work. When the Great
Recession decimated magazines, I switched from interviewing live people to
interviewing dead people, and started writing nonfiction narrative history, which
accounts for three of my four books.


3. How does history play a part of your professional life/career?

As a freelance journalist for forty years, I've researched, written, and published articles in numerous national publications, and I've published four books.





4. Why is studying/knowing history important?
5. What is your favorite period or aspect of history to learn about and
why?

I’ll start with the usual answer and then offer a proviso. Knowledge of history can
theoretically help us avoid future mistakes and enrich our understanding of both
the present and ourselves. For those things to happen, we need to appreciate the
truth captured by Faulkner’s observation, “The past is never dead. It’s not even
past.” It baffles me that people understand the tragedy of an amnesiac cut off from
the past, but are complacent about their historical ignorance of things that helped
shape the world they live in, such as slavery and imperialism and evergreen
fascism.
The proviso: historians sometimes do their subject a disservice by over-
emphasizing its solemn importance, which can sound like an admonishment to eat
your peas. Better to follow Horace’s dictum: instruct but also delight. Yes, history
is important, and when delivered engagingly it’s also endlessly surprising and
entertaining. Too many people think of history as dusty and settled, a boring record
of dead people and obsolete events, but the past seethes with passions and heroics
and absurdities and evil, because it was made by vibrant humans intent on their
plans and schemes and fears and dreams about the present and the future—like us.
Compelling books of history resurrect the dead and make them breathe again in
their pulsing eras. If a writer does that for readers, the importance of the past will
be both clear and stirring.

   

6. Your most recent book, Our Man in Tokyo, is the story of
Ambassador Joseph Grew, American ambassador to Japan in the 1930s, a subject
and period few Americans know much about. We’re pretty Eurocentric in our
view of WWII. Why is Grew’s story an important and interesting story to tell?

You’re right about our Eurocentric view of WWII. Almost everyone knows a bit
about Hitler and Nazism and the holocaust, but far fewer (including me, before I
started this book) are familiar with events in Japan and Asia during the same
decade. The situation there was equally volatile, fascinating, and consequential, not
only for the U.S. but for the world. As our ambassador to Japan from 1932-1942,
Grew interacted with all the main players in Japan and the U. S. while trying to
prevent Japan’s imperial megalomania from sparking a war with the West. He
wrote thousands of pages about this in his diary, letters, and diplomatic dispatches.
This trove helped me recreate his day-by-day thinking and experiences. Grew’s
story is obviously important history. It’s also disturbingly pertinent today.

7. How do you get ideas for your book subjects and, once you decide
on a subject, what does the work look like in terms of research and writing
timelines? Do you have a routine established?

I choose my subjects by following my curiosity. That leads to a lot of dead-ends,
but I always enjoy the trip. I know that thousands of great stories remain untold, so
I keep looking until I stumble upon one that seems certain to keep me challenged
and engaged throughout the long journey required to research and write a book.
The subject also has to attract a good advance. I seem to need about two years to
do a book. My routine: get to my desk or destination early, research or write until
suppertime, then repeat for six or seven days a week until finished.


No comments:

Post a Comment