Friday, August 5, 2022

7 Questions With Cathy Kaemmerlen, Actress, Interpreter, Storyteller


Cathy Kaemmerlen, author, actress, historical interpreter, playwright, and storyteller, is known for her variety of characters, one-woman shows, and for bringing history to life for over 10,000 school and community performances.  A performer and “creator of shows” since she can remember, she tours some 20 current shows, which she wrote,  curricular based, to tie in with social studies and language arts, through the Georgia and South Carolina Touring Arts Rosters, Fulton County Teaching Museums, and through her own production company, Tattlingtales Productions. She is the author of five books and many plays.  https://tattlingtales.com/


1. How did you get hooked on history?

 I got hooked on history about 30 years ago when I was commissioned to write my first in-school program based on Patricia Beatty's TURN HOMEWARD, HANNALEE, about the fate of Roswell mill workers (women and children) who were charged with treason for making cloth for the Confederate army uniforms:  the first effect of Sherman's all out warfare campaign on Georgia.  I learned that history consists of personal stories, fascinating stories at that, of people who worked to make a difference.

2.  What role does history play in your personal life?

As an actress/storyteller/playwright I have become obsessed with historical non-fiction, visiting historic places, learning, learning, learning, and filling the gaps I have in my knowledge of US History.

Eleanor Roosevelt




3. What role does history play in your professional life?


History is 90% of my professional career.  As a storyteller who develops curricular connections to each elementary grade level, 90% of my programs are tied in with the Social Studies standards.

4.  Why is studying/learning history important?

History is our story/stories--each and every one of us.  It helps us to understand how we got to where we are, what we need to do to continue on a forward path; it's the central connector to everything.


5.  What is your favorite period of history to learn about and why?

My favorite period usually is connected to what area I am currently researching and working on.  When I learn facts, details, stories of any period, it comes to life and my mind goes "crazy" creative, trying to think of ways to capture that period for the benefit of  young people as well as myself.  Currently I am working on a show on the history of Rivertown, Columbus, GA for all third graders in Muscogee County.  I recently premiered my homesteading pioneer show and will soon present my WW1 show that features service animals.

Susan B. Anthony



6.  How did you become a professional storyteller?

I was first a professional dancer and a dancer in the schools.  When I had my 3 children and my dancing days waned, I went back to children's literature with my children as we read classic books and started acting them out.  I put together my first shows as a dancing bookteller and then went on to be labelled a storyteller and then began to do history and herstory shows in first person.


7. Is there a common thread that runs through your works and characters?

My common thread is always to make history come to life through telling stories/creating plays that make history come off the page for students.  With STEAM and poor social studies knowledge as reflected in test scores, we are ignoring the humanities.  As a result, we are becoming a nation of technicians who have no sense of the big picture, our common history, our rules of law and what it is to be part of a democratic republic.  I find this very frightening and see the evidence in the news and in politics daily.  I hope people see through my stories, shows, books, that ordinary people can make a difference and it is important for us to fight for and respect the freedoms that we have.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment