Friday, July 15, 2022

7 Questions with Ruth Hanson, Author and Screenwriter

 


Born and bred in SoCal, Ruthie had a passion for storytelling at a young age. Published at 19, she spent her 20's releasing queer romance books through three different publishing houses. Her book, "The Railwalkers," made the Screencraft's Cinematic Book quarterfinalists, and has since been adapted for a miniseries. She is the creator of "Ladies of Fortune," a retelling of Anne Bonny and Mary Read's history during the Golden Age of Piracy. 


1. How and when did you get  hooked on history?

I've always been a storyteller at heart, and history is really just a discipline of stories. As a kid, I was exposed to all sorts of old movies, music and books. My favorite novel of all time was an anthology of Robin Hood stories I randomly picked up from my mother's bookshelf. As an adult, I got involved with the SCA, or Society for Creative Anachronism, which is a massive reenactment/historical camping group that meets up for immersive camping events throughout the country.

2. What role does history play or has it played in your personal life?

As I mentioned, I am part of the SCA. Before this latest plague, I would go to giant camping events once a year to turn off my technology and just be with like minded people. There's a community amongst weirdos like us, and the memories I've made with fellow history nerds and/or depraved alcoholics with a passion for pole-arms are some of my most treasured. 




3. How does history play  a part of your professional life/career?

As a screenwriter and an author, history is invaluable. No matter what era, human behavior transcends time and culture. My western novel, The Railwalkers, was a very research heavy experience (which, as a nerd, I found part of the fun), but the reason why it became my best selling novel was because of the human element. My vigilante bandits are fake, but the pain, the joy, the love and the heartbreak they experience are very real, which can in part help connect with those readers who might not be as interested in the time period as I am.

4. Why is studying/knowing history important?

There is, of course, the classic answer to this. "Those who do not study history are doomed to repeat it." And I think there is some truth to that. But on a less depressing note, studying history is, frankly, inspiring. If you're a creative, looking into a historical era you're curious about might just spark something amazing. And, often digging into more than just surface level public school history classes can also lead to some pretty validating facts, especially if, like me, you're a queer person. LGBTQ history has always been there, despite all efforts to erase us from the books. Trans folk have had footholds in Indigenous and Asian communities for centuries. Gay, bi/pansexual and asexual figures have always existed; some even holding astounding positions of power. And of course, there is a world of history outside the Euro-centric model that I could not even begin to cover.




5. What is your favorite period or aspect of history to learn about and why?

As a kid, one of my obsessions to follow me into adulthood was the Golden Age of Piracy (specifically 1690's to about 1720's). I've spent my whole life collecting nuggets of information about everything from the larger than life players like Blackbeard and Morgan to the more mundane elements like the fact that most pirate ships had a salary and health insurance. The element of adventure is definitely a draw for me, but what really fascinates me about it is that, while it predates the American and French revolutions, it's the first exhibition of a kind of international rebellion, where those on the bottom find ways to defy the old world and its centuries of structure. It's one of the most misunderstood eras of history, in my humble opinion, and I've made it a personal mission to rectify that ❤




6.       How did you develop the concept of Ladies of Fortune and what is it?

Ladies of Fortune is a concept I developed all the way back in 2017, though I'd had the story kicking around in my head for ages. It's a retelling of Anne Bonny and Mary Read, two of the most infamous female pirates in history. While Anne and Mary are not new to media depictions, in my opinion, they've never been done justice, as they often fill out supporting cast or are pushed to the side entirely. When in fact, I believe, their story is one of the greatest ones out of the Golden Age. I became fascinated with them in particular during my dive into pirate history, and uncovering details about them also helped in understanding my own complicated identity as well. It is a deeply personal and sincere passion project, and I am so lucky to have found a small group of equally invested people to help make it a reality.

Currently, it is just a kickstarter. The intention is to film what is known as a "proof of concept," which is a scene from the pilot shot with actors/stand ins and polished up to look like something ready for television. We are extraordinarily fortunate to already have talent attached (and has been since day 1), Damien T. Gerard. Damien has been cast as the cruel and fearsome Ben Hornigold, whose story goes from navy man, to pirate, to pirate hunter. Currently, we are set to film a scene between him and his first mate, Jasper, where he first is presented the idea of taking a king's pardon to work for the crown. This scene was chosen for a few reasons, chief among them being it's a very cheap scene to film. However, there is another scene we would love to film more. Half way through the pilot, all four of our leads -- Ben Hornigold, Jack Rackham, Anne Bonny, and Mary Read -- meet for the first time. Tension brews as Anne and Hornigold square off, while Jack does his best to mediate, and Mary forms a plan of subterfuge. To film this scene, we would need nearly ten times the amount of our initial goal. But with how hyped people have been getting over the project so far, it seems doable!

7.       How can people help make Ladies of Fortune happen?

First -- donate~! We have some very cool rewards to offer, including signed scripts, commemorative coins, and Q&A sessions with the cast and crew.
But if you can't donate, share the link, engage with it on social media, tell your friends, all that jazz. And when it does get made, and if you like what we've done, keep cheering us on! We've got a long road ahead of us, but we are primed and ready to make that horizon!







No comments:

Post a Comment