Friday, May 20, 2022

7 Questions with Jerry Borrowman, Author and Motivational Speaker


Jerry Borrowman is the author of eighteen books of historical fiction and non-fiction, His stories are often stories of inspiring people in extraordinary circumstances. He is also a motivational speaker.  For more information, see his website, https://jerryborrowman.com/






 

1. How did you get hooked on history?

I became interested in World War 2 history in junior high - I enjoyed watching diverse television shows such as "Combat" and McHale's Navy (more for the torpedo boat than the humor) and movies, including Patton. Can't say for sure why the military intrigued me so much, but I think it had to do with right versus wrong and people putting the good of the nation and world ahead of their own interests. As an adult I loved reading anything by Winston Churchill and naval fiction by Alexander Kent, Douglas Reeman, E.M. Forester, etc.



2.  What role does history play in your personal life?

At age 69 I've lived through some interesting history - but mostly as an outside observer who did not join the military. I believe most of the books I've read are historical in nature -- primarily non-fiction, and I've listened to hundreds of hours of the "Great Courses" offerings on history and historical periods.

3. How does history play a role in your professional life?

My primary career has been in life insurance as a trainer and working with clients. My avocation has been writing about history, with ten non-fiction books and ten fiction books now published commercially. I've done really well on sales and have established a niche with devoted readers -- which means the world to me. I like to find little known events from history, particularly the 20th century, and weaving those events into stories that create intrigue, suspense, and inspiration. I've won a number of awards that are meaningful to me as a result of this approach, including the George Washington Gold Medal from the Freedoms Foundation at Valley Forge and first place in War & Military from Foreword Reviews for my non-fiction book "Compassionate Soldier." My latest non-fiction book "Why We Fought!" has also been nominated for 2022.

4. Why is studying/knowing history important?

History is important for many many reasons. I’ve come to doubt the old saying that if we don’t know history we’re doomed to repeat it…seems like we repeat even when we do know. But at a more fundamental level history is  fundamental in finding out who we are so we can decide what core values and ideals we should hold. Perhaps that’s why there is such international interest in genealogy. We yearn for context in a very complicated world. History also allows us to sift through the events of the past to find out what matters and what we can let go of. A fire in a garment factory matters because it led to safety reforms that improved the lives of millions of workers. A poem I wrote twenty years ago had value at the time, but no relevance for today so let it go. The history that I research in writing my books really matters, I believe, because it examines people whose lives were refined in the crucible of war and their courage in the face of evil helped push back the darkness of repression. It is inspiring, and hopefully gives us strength to stand up to our own challenges. Plus history is just plain interesting…we humans love stories and that’s all history is…a virtually unlimited number of stories that open our minds to new places, people, and times-and what can be more fascinating than that?  A final thought . A professor once said that the past is everything that has happened; history is that sliver of the past that’s been recorded. So I encourage your readers to add to history by recording important elements of their own lives. It will give their descendants the wonder of learning their own family history and taking their place in the world. 

5. What is your favorite period/area of history to learn about and why?

I have concentrated on the first half of the 20th Century - World Wars 1 & 2 and the Great Depression. I have written some books outside of that period, including "Beyond the Call of Duty" with Colonel Bernard Fisher, USAF, and recipient of the Medal of Honor for his service in Vietnam, as well several books from the 19th Century.




6. You've written a lot of books about various topics. How do you choose a topic?

I read a great deal and when I come across something unusual I look to see how many others have written about the event or the person. If the answer is "not a lot" I dig deeper to see if I can turn it into a story that my readers would be interested in.

7. Is there a common theme throughout your books?

The common thread among all my books is self-sacrifice for freedom and in opposition to tyranny. Some of my characters are drafted, but despite their fears proceed to do the right thing. My non-fiction books feature true heroes -- most recently in "Why We Fought" individuals who were not obligated to serve, but who stepped forward at great personal risk. I am inspired by these people and feel gratitude that through my writing I can pay tribute to their lives.


No comments:

Post a Comment