Friday, April 15, 2022

7 Questions With Kendra Reid-Bossig, @patriotdame

 


Kendra Reid-Bossig has been volunteering at the 45th Infantry Division Museum located in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, for just shy of 3 years. She predominantly works with the museum's uniforms and personal equipment collection, which includes items from the Spanish American War to modern times. Her educational background is a mixture of American History and Art History. She is currently in her last year of graduate school at the University of Oklahoma, working towards a MA in museum studies. She has recently gotten into WW2 reenacting, which is a great way to make new connections, promote my work at the museum, and adds another exciting layer of content for her Instagram account.




1. How and when did you get hooked on history?

I have been a fan of history since elementary school. I grew up in Texas, and it has a mythos and history, unlike any other state. I just fell in love with history the more I read and the more classes I took.

2. What role does history play, or has it played in your personal life?

History has played a considerable role in my personal life; I have to thank/blame my family for that. Both of my grandfathers were veterans, and I loved looking at pictures of their time in the service and listening to their stories. While other kids were going to theme parks on vacation, we visited countless museums, historic sites, and battlefields. All of that historical goodness directly lead me down a rabbit hole that I am still gladly falling down.







3. How does history play a part in your professional life/career?

History is at the very center of my professional life right now. Honestly, I can not imagine working at any other type of museum. People view volunteer positions within museums as "not a real job," but I would argue differently. Many small museums rely heavily on volunteers. Volunteers provide crucial staffing and resources, and I like to think I am giving back to the community. I am so grateful that I can use my background and skills to help the museum. It's a win-win!






4. Why is studying/knowing history important?

I am not a fan of the phrase "you need to learn history, so it does not repeat itself!"; events unfold for various reasons. Yes, things can be cyclical, but there is much more to history than just events. History comprises of people, relationships, movement, and many other things. It is essential to study history to understand more about our personal and societal identities. The "who, why, and what" are just as important as the "where and when."

5. What is your favorite period or aspect of history to learn about, and why?

My favorite period of history is the late 18th to early 20th century. It is a time of rapid modernization and seismic societal shifts. Think about how far we have come in the relatively short time since the American Civil War; it's incredible! There are so many new perspectives finally being discussed from this period; I think it is fascinating.



6. How did you become PatriotDame?

 PatriotDame came about very early in my time volunteering at the museum. I wanted to highlight all of the incredible things we have on display, things that have been recently donated, or items that are not currently on the floor. I like to think I offer a backstage pass to the 45th.

7. What do you hope your social media followers take away from your posts?

My account is a fun and light-hearted way to engage a broader audience about the museum's collections and mission. That is the beauty of Instagram; it allows me to post images with a quick bite of information. I want people to take away that museums are not dusty, boring places that warehouse objects for posterity but are actually vital partners in their community.


No comments:

Post a Comment