Friday, April 16, 2021

7 Questions with the Author of Ensnared in the Wolf's Lair, Ann Bausum

 


Ann Bausum is an award-winning author of 16 works of nonfiction for children, teens, and adults. Her books often explore under-told stories and examine social justice history, but she’s also written twice about a famous dog! Earlier this year National Geographic published her latest book for middle graders and up: Ensnared in the Wolf’s Lair—Inside the 1944 Plot to Kill Hitler and the Ghost Children of His Revenge. [http://www.annbausum.com/ensnared-in-the-wolf's-lair.html] Find out more about her work at her website: AnnBausum.com. [http://www.annbausum.com/index.html]

 



1. How and/or when did you get you hooked on history?

My interest in history dates to fourth grade if not before. That was the first year I studied history in school, and I fell in love with the subject. It probably helped that my father was a history professor and that I lived in an historic area in Virginia, so I didn’t just read about history—I was surrounded by it.

What I didn’t know at the time was that my community (Lexington) and my state history books offered a distorted view of the past that had been heavily influenced by the so-called Lost Cause mythology. I was in my 20s before I realized how misled I’d been by this false historical narrative. My love of history was undiminished, but ever since I’ve been guided by a passion to examine the past truthfully, warts and all.

2. What role does history play or has it played in your personal life?

In addition to being steeped in history through my surroundings, I grew up during an era crammed with significant occurrences. My first memory of current events was the assassination of President John F. Kennedy when I was in first grade. Plenty of other notable events followed with the Civil Rights Movement, additional tragic assassinations, the Vietnam War, Watergate, and so on.

At the same time the country was undergoing a social transformation. My mother was an educator, too, and she modeled the possibility of being a working mother. I attended high school in the Washington DC area and volunteered on Capitol Hill during my junior year for my local congressman. The Watergate investigation was underway and my representative served on the House Judicial Committee during those Congressional inquiries. During one of my volunteer sessions I three-hole-punched the entire set of transcripts that had been obtained by court order from the Nixon White House. How could I not get caught up in history? I had touched it, literally, and I would forever be drawn to its pursuit.

3. How will history play a part of your professional life/career?

Now I research and write about history for young people and teens. I’ve pursued this passion for more than two decades, and I have no plans to stop anytime soon. There are so many underappreciated topics to explore, and it seems more important than ever to offer the newest students of history the facts and the context that will help them understand the past and make a difference in the future.

4. Why is studying/knowing history important?

I’ve focused my career on writing about the underbelly of our past. Some might say it’s better to focus on the most admirable stories. I cherish examples of human achievement at its best, but I also think we must plumb the depths to find lessons of pitfalls that would better be avoided than repeated. As individuals we practice facing our demons and learning from past mistakes. We would do well to follow that same therapy collectively.

5. What is your favorite period or aspect of history to learn about and why?

I’ve been particularly drawn to two periods of U.S. progressive social change: the opening decades of the 20th century and the 1960s. But I’ve explored other countries and eras, too. More than anything I’m drawn to those under-told stories that deserve to be reclaimed from obscurity. The hidden gems of history offer unexpected inspiration and diversion. We may value seeing familiar masterpieces at a museum, but often it’s the previously unknown painting that catches our eye and comes back to stir our imaginations later own. History can work the same way.

And although I tend to focus on stories from the darker side of history, every now and then something different comes along, like Stubby, the stray dog who joined the fight during World War I and came home to a hero’s welcome. This loveable creature insisted that I write about him not once, but twice, and I enjoyed the diversion immensely. One of Stubby’s unofficial roles during and after the war had been as a therapy dog. I later realized he’d offered the same comfort to me between my forays into more troubling history.



6. How did you begin writing history books for young people?

My story is surprisingly similar to those of other children’s book authors: I found my way to this genre through the eyes of a child, or in my case three children. The first one was me. I adored reading children’s literature during my youth, and becoming an author of such books was an early career goal. I have always made my living by writing, but it wasn’t until I had two sons of my own that I found my way back to this earlier ambition. I watched books influence them the way they had once captivated me, and I had my eureka moment. Maybe I could apply my writing skills to this seminal genre. I’ve never turned back.

7. Your most recent book is Ensnared in the Wolf’s Lair. What is it about and how did you choose this topic?

 

This book examines a little-known story from World War II history: Hitler’s vengeful response to the failed 1944 attempt to assassinate him and overthrow his regime. Most adults and some younger readers will know about the doomed Valkyrie plot, but few beyond German have focused on the punishments that followed not just for the captured conspirators but for their family members. More than 200 relatives were apprehended, ranging from elderly to newborn. Younger children were separated from their surviving parents and held for weeks or months in secret detention. These youngsters—who gained the name of ghost children during their captivity—are now in their eighties, and I was fortunate enough to interview several of them for this project. One of them had kept a diary of her experiences as a twelve-year-old, and she permitted me to draw from her text for my narrative.

 




My interest in this topic coincided with the 2018 separation of children from older family members at the U.S. southern border. I often examine stories from the past that can be used as a window for viewing current events. This history, with its focus on the role played by misinformation, propaganda, and fearmongering during the rise of Hitler, and the example of Hitler’s obsessive pursuit of revenge without regard for family suffering, seemed like a valuable episode to examine during this time of global unrest.

 

Looking ahead I’ve returned my gaze to my childhood and am examining the origins of that Lost Cause mythology. It’s not enough to know that I was misled. I want to understand the forces behind this deception. I hope the insights I gain can help to disarm a propaganda that continues to influence and distort our understanding of our nation’s past—and ourselves.


No comments:

Post a Comment