Wednesday, April 26, 2017

7 Questions With Rhetta Akamatsu, Author

Rhetta is an author and journalist who is fascinated with history, especially social and cultural. She loves to write about music, especially blues, and is happiest when she can combine history and music. Her most popular books so far, however, are The Irish Slaves and Haunted Marietta. She lives in Marietta with her husband and children. https://rhettasbooks.com/


1. How and/or when did you get you hooked on history?
When  I  was about 8, my best friend got a series of books about famous women. At about the same time, I read The Little House On the Prairie books. I believe that started it.

2. What role does history play or has it played in your personal life?
I love genealogy and have traced some of my ancestors back over a thousand years. I also enjoy visiting cemeteries, museums, and abandoned buildings.

3. How is history part of your professional career?
As a writer, I love to weave history into every subject I write about, including ghost stories and music.

4. Why is studying/knowing history important?
History helps us understand ourselves and others. It gives us insight into current events and perspective on everything from relationships between individuals to relationships between countries. 

5. What is your favorite period or aspect of history to learn about and why?
That is almost impossible to say.  It changes all the time but right now it is probably the late 19th and early 20th centuries. So much happened in that period that influenced our modern  world.

6.You've written about variety of subjects. How do you select a topic? Is there a common thread in your research and writing?
I get interested in a subject and  if I can't find a book that answers my questions I research and write  one. The common thread is the  stories of ordinary people,

7. Tell us about your latest book or your current project or both?
My latest book came out last Christmas. It is a history of blues in Georgia from Blind Willie McTell to the present. 





No comments:

Post a Comment